Community Chaplains Association is a 501(c)(3) not for profit organization based in Jupiter, Florida whose purpose and mission is to provide professional spiritual care to elderly and retired individuals residing in retirement facilities, nursing homes and assisted-living facilities.
Why We Serve
Based on 2010 population estimates, over 20% of the 12 million households headed by persons at least 75 years old reside in seniors housing and care properties. The level of seniors in this age group is projected to grow at a steady pace for the next 10 years, at which point, the percentage of seniors in the age group is projected to grow at a much more significant rate due to the aging of the baby boomers.
The Services We Provide
The spiritual care we provide takes shape in four ways.
- First, professionally trained chaplains provide spiritual care on a one-on-one basis to individuals who are institutionalized, shut-in, disabled, elderly/retired, or experiencing a crisis. This includes visitation, spiritual instruction and guidance, and basic counseling.
- Second, the chaplains also provide community worship and Bible study opportunities where appropriate. These opportunities are open to people of all faiths or beliefs and are intentionally designed to be ecumenical.
- Third, we also conduct seminars throughout the year open to the general public which consist of topics and subjects related to spiritual care and bereavement. These seminars are developed to assist individuals suffering in grief and to provide information relating to decisions which must commonly be made by individuals facing retirement, serious medical needs or treatment, or end of life issues.
- Fourth, the chaplains may also be involved with an individual’s family and house of worship which they were affiliated with before entering nursing care. In addition to regular consultation and visitation, the chaplains are available on an on-call basis for emergencies and to conduct funerals as may be requested by the family.
Community Chaplains Association provides spiritual care services to enhance the well-being and spiritual lives of individuals who are residents of assisted living facilities, nursing homes and convalescent centers as well as those who are shut-in, retired, disabled, receiving medical treatment, institutionalized, and experiencing a crisis, and to their family members, as a supplement to the care provided by their faith communities. Therefore, our mission is:
- First, to family members, houses of worship, retirement facilities, nursing homes, hospitals and other similar institutions because they provide access to the individuals we serve. We will provide professionally trained chaplains in a caring atmosphere who will establish relationships with both the institution and the individual and who will offer spiritual care on an individual basis, in services of community worship, and in community Bible studies. Our dealings with institutions and individuals will be honest and fair and will be conducted in a manner that is ecumenical and promotes inter-faith dialogue.
- Second, to the individuals we serve because their physical and spiritual well-being are most important, whether they are experiencing a crisis, terminal illness, loneliness, or in need of supplemental spiritual care. Their encouragement, education, and wholeness will be looked-after by our chaplains and the organization as a whole.
- Third, to our stakeholders, including donors, who contribute their time, skills, and monetary resources. Without them, we would not be able to continue to provide the level of spiritual care to those we serve. By them, we can reach the institutionalized, the suffering, and the lonely, and without them the individuals under our care would otherwise go without any spiritual care if these contributions were not made.